Do's & Don'ts
Your beautiful and functional shower enclosure should provide years of enjoyment, as well as increase the value of your home. With the proper care and maintenance, your new enclosure will prove to be virtually worry-free. The high quality product you have chosen will require a minimal amount of attention.
Shower Doors are Not Watertight: Cardinal Shower Enclosures, when properly installed, are designed to prevent leaks under normal shower conditions. Excessive water pressure or directing the shower spray directly at the door do not represent normal shower conditions and can result in leaks.
- For example, if you have two children in the bathtub, and they insist on throwing buckets of water at each other, or shoot each other with squirt guns, or play with the shower nozzle, water will likely get out. Also, you should not clean your shower enclosure with your spray nozzle, which also counts as excessive water pressure. If you notice puddles of water outside your shower after such activities, you should probably clean it up as soon as possible and not repeat whatever activity got the water out of the tub or shower. Continual splashing of water outside your shower can cause all sorts of trouble.
Also, although some movies & comics show a shower or tub enclosure filled nearly to the top with water (6 feet deep perhaps), these are comic situations and we recommend that you don't try this with a Cardinal Shower Enclosure.
Towel Bar and Handle Warning: Towel bars and handles are not to be used as grab bars.
- For many people, grab bars in showers are a great assistance for getting in and out of the tub or shower. However, if your Cardinal tub or shower enclosure is equipped with a towel bar, you should not use it as a grab bar. It will not support your weight. Do not hang from it. Do not stand on it. If you use excessive force, it could snap off, shatter your shower door, send glass everywhere, or do goodness knows what. If you have small children who love to hang on things, and you are often heard to call them "my little monkeys" (in an affectionate way, of course), it's probably a good idea to instruct them not to hang from the towel bar. However, your towels and washcloths should be quite happy hanging from the towel bars.
Better yet, just use a knob for the inside panel, or upgrade to recessed finger pulls or the Skyline style pulls. They're pretty cool.
Abrasive Cleaner Warning: Do not use abrasive or acid-based cleaners when cleaning your Cardinal Shower Enclosure.
- There are some powerful cleaners on the market today. Abrasive or acid-based cleaners can scar the metal or glass of your Cardinal Shower Enclosure. It probably wouldn't happen with a single application, but it's best to use appropriate types of cleaners all the time.
Maintaining Your Glass
Cardinal 10 Care and Maintenance:
For best results, Cardinal Shower Enclosures should be cleaned with a squeegee or towel after exposure to water.
After each use a simple swipe of a squeegee will help maintain that brand new look. The glass needs to be cleaned every few weeks using a damp microfiber cloth and a mild detergent or soap to remove soap scum and grime from the glass. If you prefer, a general glass cleaner and a cloth are also suitable. The need to use harsh cleansers or toxic chemicals is no longer necessary to maintain the pristine appearance of your glass. When cleaning your treated glass be careful not to use any rough, gritty, highly acidic or abrasive cleaners that may remove the surface of the glass and damage the coating, therefore voiding the warranty. For areas with hard water, due to a higher concentrate of mineral deposits such as lime and calcium, a build up may occur on the protective coating and not be easily removed with a mild detergent. A solution of white vinegar and water (1 part vinegar to 5 parts water), will need to be used occasionally to dissolve these deposits.
APPROVED CARDINAL 10 CLEANERS
The manufacturer has tested and approved the following products as preferred cleaners for Cardinal 10 Surface Protection:
- Lysol 4in1 Bathroom Cleaner
- Fantastic Orange Action
- Green Works Natural Glass & Surface Cleaner
- Clean Shower Daily Shower Cleaner
- Mixture of 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water